Windows 7 Remote Desktop Security Fix
In the interest of security for all users, DECS recently implemented security changes that affect Windows 7 computers and their ability to connect to DECS Remote Desktop Services (RDS) and DECS Remote Desktop Gateway. This article will explain how to restore Windows 7 connectivity to these DECS services. Please contact the DECS Support Office if you are having issues connecting with another version of Windows, Linux, or Mac.
Microsoft has released two Windows Updates that allow Windows 7 to use the newer security standards that DECS is now requiring. If you use Windows 7 and cannot access Remote Desktop Services (the public computer lab environment) or Remote Desktop Gateway (allows connections to research lab or other individual computers) please follow these steps:
1. First determine if you have a 32-bit or a 64-bit install of Windows 7.
Open System by clicking the Start button, right-clicking Computer, and then clicking Properties.
Under System, you can view the system type.
2. Near the bottom of this page locate the "Windows 7 Remote Desktop fix.zip" and download the zip file.
3. The ZIP file will need to be opened and extracted. If you do not have a program that will open/extract ZIP files, we recommend 7-Zip. Other file archive softwares operate very similarly to the 7Zip screen shots below.
4. After downloading/opening the Windows 7 Remote Desktop fix.zip file, a window for the file archive application will appear as pictured below.
5. Create a new folder on your desktop or an easy to access location. You can do this by browsing to the file location, right clicking, selecting New, and then Folder. Name the folder as you would like, perhaps "RDS Fix"
6. Extract the downloaded files by opening the file archive window (Step 4), select the five files and drag them into the folder you created (Step 5).
7. Open the folder where the files where extracted.
8. Install KB3080079, run the 32bit or 64bit version depending on the version you determined your machine was installed with in Step 1.
9. Install KB3140245, run the 32bit or 64bit version depending on the version you determined your machine was installed with in Step 1.
10. Apply the DefaultSecureProtocols.reg registry file by double clicking it.
11. Restart your computer.
This should allow you to access DECS Remote Desktop Services and the DECS Remote Desktop Gateway again. If you have trouble following these steps or have any questions please contact DECS Support!
1325 Engineering Building
|Windows 7 Remote Desktop fix.zip||17.42 MB|