Connecting to the DECS RDS servers is only supported by using an official Microsoft Remote Desktop client, which is currently available for Windows, Mac/iPhone, and Android. Other clients and/or operating systems may work, but support will be limited.
Click the appropriate operating system link below for instructions.
Please contact the DECS Support Office if you have any questions or require assistance.
Note: you may need to update your remote desktop client if you experience trouble connecting.
1. In a web browser, go to remote.egr.msu.edu. Log in with your EGR username and password.
2. Once logged in, click the icon for Remote (see below) to download the .rdp file needed to connect.
3. Once downloaded, click the .rdp file to run it. A prompt similar to the image below will display; click Connect to continue. You can check the box for "Don't ask me again for connections from this publisher" which will store the certificate and prevent the prompt from displaying in the future.
4. Enter your entire Engineering email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) and your Engineering password. You must include your entire email address or you will not be able to connect.
To close your connection, you can click the X in the Remote Desktop client title bar, or use the Log off button in the start menu of the RDS server. Click here for more info on the difference between logging off and disconnecting.
Note: If you do not have the latest Microsoft Remote Desktop Client, you will need to first download it from the Apple Store.
1. Open the Microsoft Remote Desktop client, then click "Remote Resources".
2. In the URL field, enter https://remote.egr.msu.edu
3. Enter your entire Engineering email address (email@example.com) and your Engineering password. You must include your entire email address or you will not be able to connect.
4. Click Refresh, and you should see a new icon in the client.
5. You can now close the Remote Resources window and double-click the new entry in the client to connect.
To close your connection, you can select the Quit option in the Mac menu bar, or use the Log off button in the start menu of the RDS server. Click here for more info on the difference between logging off and disconnecting.
Microsoft does not provide a Remote Desktop client for the Linux operating system, so DECS does not officially support connecting to the RDS servers using Linux. That being said, we have tested several free non-Microsoft clients and have provided instructions to connect using Remmina.
Ubuntu ships with a version of the Remmina client that is inadequate
to connect to RDS. A newer version is available that will work with our environment. Instructions
for installation can be found here: https://github.com/FreeRDP/Remmina/wiki
Once you have installed Remmina 1.2, you should be able to browse to https://remote.egr.msu.edu/,
sign in with your engineering account, download the remote.rdp file, import that into remmina,
put in your credentials (domain: egr), and establish a connection to RDS.
After importing that file into remmina, you may need to make a small change to the remmina config for that connection:
Username: *enter just your MSU NetID with nothing else like @egr.msu.edu*
Password: *your EGR password*
In the Advanced tab, check the following:
Server detection using RD Gateway
To close your connection, you can use either the Log off or Disconnect options from the start menu inside the session. Click here for more info on the difference between logging off and disconnecting.