- In Windows 10, click the File Explorer button (pictured below):
- Once in File Explorer, select This PC. It should bring up a page similar to image below:
- At the top of the This PC page there should be a tab labeled Computer. Click on that tab and then click on a button labeled Map network drive. Select this button and the window below should open up:
- On this page you can now enter in your required server (see list below for common EGR drives such as personal and office drives).
- Click the Finish button to close the window and finish the operation. If you are prompted for a username and password, you will need to add EGR\ to the beginning of your username. You can specify to Reconnect at sign-in so you are not required to re-map the drive each time you log into your machine. The drive will now open in a window of its own and appear under My Computer (we have used the general office drive as an example below):
Drive Specific Instructions
- M: Home
- Drive: M:
- Folder: \\filer1.egr.msu.edu\username
- O: Office
- Drive: O:
- Folder: \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-*department*\*department* (*department* is the common abbreviation for your department; examples below)
The following paths are case sensitive.
ECE \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-ece\ECE CEE \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-cee\CEE ME \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-me\ME CMSC \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-chems\CMSC CMSE \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-cmse DER \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-dean\DER NCPP \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-cee\NCPP Publications \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-dean\PUBS EGR DEV \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-dev\EGRDEV UGS \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-ugs\UGS Recruitment \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-ugs\Recruitment K-12 Outreach \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-ugs\Recruitment\K-12Outreach DPO \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\office-ugs\DPO
- R: Research
- Drive: R:
- Folder: \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\research
- You may be provided a customized folder path to access storage for your group that is not part of the main research volume.
- S: Scratch
- Drive: S:
- Folder: \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\scratch
- Drive: T:
- Folder: \\cifs.egr.msu.edu\
- W: Web
- Drive: W:
- Folder: \\filer1.egr.msu.edu\web
NOTE: The drive letter is simply a recommendation. It can be any drive you choose if the suggested drive letter is currently in use.
What is the Home Directory?Home (M:) is personal space for each user.
What is the Office Directory?Office (O:) is shared space set up for departmental groups.
What is the Research Directory?Research (R:) is a shared space set up for various research groups. Additional customized research volumes exist with alternate paths.
What is T:?Think of (T:) as a drive containing all the other drives. Mapping it should eliminate the need to map any of the other network drives.
What is the Web Directory?
Web (W:) is shared space for various groups dedicated for web sites.
What is the Scratch Directory?
Scratch (S:) is temporary space (7 days) that is never backed up and is used for large computational jobs.