This document describes how to configure your Spartan Mail email account in Thunderbird using OAuth2 (Modern Authentication).
Note: These instructions assume you are running a version of Thunderbird 77.0b1 or later which supports OAuth2 modern authentication. We recommend verifying that your Thunderbird is up to date to ensure the client is secure.
Configure Thunderbird for Office 365
- Launch Thunderbird to bring up the main Thunderbird interface. If you have other accounts configured, you can navigate here by clicking on Local Folders on the left-hand side. Select Email under the Setup Another Account section in the main window.
- On the Mail Account Setup window, enter information into the available fields as follows:
- Your name: Your name as you'd like it to appear
- Email Address: Enter [MSU netID]@msu.edu
- Password: Your MSU Password
- Click ‘Configure manually’
- You will need to manually configure the mail servers for Spartan Mail. Enter the hostname of outlook.office365.com and change the connection security for the incoming server to SSL/TLS.
- Select the Re-test button in the bottom left. Once this has tested you will need to change the Authentication Method on both servers to OAuth2
- Select Done once you have entered the server settings.
- Select the email tab on the top left of Thunderbird, then navigate to your MSU email address and select your inbox.
- You will be brought to the MSU login page. Use your MSU credentials and then verify with your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA).
- When Thunderbird requests permissions, click “Accept”.
- Your MSU Email should now be downloading emails on Thunderbird. Please be patient as downloading your email may take awhile. During this time, please review the additional quality of use configuration options below.
Add additional folders:
Thunderbird may not automatically add all of your email folders. If you are missing folders then you will need to subscribe to them before Thunderbird will load them.
- Right-click on your Office 365 account and select "Subscribe..." from the drop-down menu.
- Place a check-mark within the box next to any folder that you are expecting to see but not able to find.
- Click the OK button.
Synchronize Sent and Deleted Messages
By default Thunderbird uses different folders for deleted and sent emails. These steps will configure your Thunderbird to utilize the appropriate folders for these items and allow for these to sync to other devices.
- Right-click on your Office 365 account and select "Settings..." from the drop-down menu.
- Under your Office 365 account, select "Server Settings".
- Within 'Server Settings | When I delete a message' section, select "Move it to this folder:" and use the text box next to this setting to select the "Deleted Items" folder.
- Under your Office 365 account, select "Copies & Folders".
- Within 'When sending messages, automatically | Place a copy in:' section, select "Other" and use the text box next to this setting to select the "Sent Items" folder within your Office 365 account.
- Click the OK button.
- Restart Thunderbird
Configure Office 365 Calendar and Directory Contacts
Calendar and directory contacts from your Spartanmail account can be synced in Thunderbird with the assistance of the TBsync extension and the Exchange ActiveSync extension. These steps will walk you through the process of configuring this.
- Select the three lines menu in the top right corner of Thunderbird. Select Add-ons and Themes from the drop down menu.
- Search for TBSync in the search box in the top right
- Select the Add to Thunderbird button to add TBSync
- Thunderbird will have two popup's in the top right corner to confirm the addition. Select Add and OK on these pop-ups to confirm the addition
- Select the Add-on search field again and search for EAS to find Provider for Exchange ActiveSync.
- Select the Add to Thunderbird button to add Provider for Exchange ActiveSync.
- Return to the Add-ons Manager tab (repeat step 1 if this tab has closed) and select Extensions from the left side ribbon.
- Select the Wrench icon to configure TBSync
- Select Account Actions, then select add new account, and finally Exchange ActiveSync.
- Select Microsoft Office 365
- Enter your MSU email and select Add Account.
- You will be brought to the MSU login page. Use your MSU credentials and then verify with your Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA)
- Select the checkbox next to Enable and synchronize
- Select any settings you would like to sync, set the time interval (in minutes) that you would like between syncs. Please note that frequent syncing can cause slow downs with your mail, especially if you have a large number of events on your calendar.