Errata for Third Printing of Introductory Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics
This page is periodically updated as new errors are found. The date that the error was recorded is listed at the end of each line.
Some of the corrections were improperly inserted during reprinting (we weren't provided proofing of the "corrections" entered by the publisher!), a few corrections were overlooked by the publisher, a few more errors were created by the publisher, and this page summarizes any new errors that were found. Some of the corrections include a pdf file. (Note: if pdf appears blank in your browser window, right-click the link to download the file and then view it - see adobe support).
- pg 31, homework problem 1.3, clarification. line 2, 'Calculate the T and P' should be 'Calculate the P'. (7/1/08).
- p 32 problem 1.8, Second sentence. Delete "molar", i.e., "What is the volume of ..."(1/26/01)
- p 32, homework problem 1.9, the temperature should be 293K instead of 293oC. (7/29/04)
- p54, first equation line, 2/3 of the way down the page, at the end of the line, delete the very last delta.(12/1/99)
- pg 60, eq. 2.43, right hand side should be divided by 2. (7/1/08)
- p 73, Eqn 2.62, first term V/Vi should be inverted and appear as Vi/V. (4/13/01)
- p78, problem P2.3 and P2.4, the answers are for a gas furnace.(7/24/01)
- p78, problem P2.8, remove the minus sign on the mass flow term (7/24/01)
- p79, problem P2.16, (a) remove minus sign on answer, (b) ANS. -0.305 (7/24/01)
- pg 80, homework problem 2.2, clarification. line 2, 'liquid at 25oC' should be 'liquid at 25oC and 1 bar' (7/1/08)
- pg 109, eq. 3.33, remove the minus sign from WS,net, since the heat transfer terms are based on the reservoirs (2/4/06).
- pg 109, third line from the bottom of the page, the first equality should be DS = integral(dQ/T). (3/8/05)
- p 126, 6th line of example 3.12, Sdot(gen) should be underlined.(3/3/00)
- p 130 problem P3.1 (a), for answer, replace M with N. (7/24/01)
- p 130 problem P3.5 Cp is to be used in the problem, (ANS. 1.07 kJ/kgK).(7/24/01)
- pg 160 - Example 4.9. The first equation of the solution is for combustion, so the subscript on the work term should be 'comb' instead of 'comp'. Also, signs were inadvertently reversed in transitioning from the second to third equality in the line above eq 4.9. Therefore, the signs should be changed on the third and fourth equality of the line above eq. 4.9. Within the curly brakets for eq. 4.9, the second term sign should be changed, or alternatively, the terms in the denominator should be reversed. An updated pdf of the page is available; click here. Also, an updated example is available describing the steps in more detail; click here.
- p167, problem 4.4, eliminate part (d).(7/1/08)
- p 167, problem 4.5(e), insert "of": "Determine the output of turbine.." (1/26/01)
- p 167, problem 4.7, third line. The efficiency of each turbine is to 88%, not 0.88%. (2/9/01)
- p 167 problem 4.7, third line 0.88% should be 88%
- p 168 problem 4.11(a) and (b), replace the word "turbine" with the word "compressor" in both occurrences. (9/5/01)
- p 169 problem 4.14(e) should read "...the second compressor (85% efficient) and the COP." (2/9/01)
- p 169 problem 4.15(c) replace "turbine" with "expander" in the 2nd, 4th, and 5th lines. (2/9/01)
- p 175, The fact that eqn 5.4 can be generalized to non-reversible processes isn't made clear. The wording surrounding the equation has been improved. Here is a pdf version of a revised pg 175. (4/13/01)
- pg 178, Eqn 5.12, the value of the second derivative should be infinity. (9/22/04)
- pg 191, problem 5.6 (d), for CS2, the first two data columns should be MW=76.14 and rho=1.258 g/cm3. The other data in that row are fine. (2/20/02)
- p 192, problem 5.10, T should not be different size: argument in the numerator should be (A/RT).(1/26/01)
typos. 'follwing it terms' should be 'following in terms' (7/1/08)
- p 218-9, these pages really got corrupted in reprint. Click here for pg218-9.(1/26/01)
- p 221, problem P6.2, ANS 1.14, 0.25 g/cm3 (7/24/01)
- p239, middle of page, two lines after 'Now if we rearrage...', the gas constant was omitted in three places:
DS = Cvln(T2/T1) + R ln (V2/V1) + R ln [(1-ar2)/(1-ar1)]
= R ln (1-ar2) + Cvln(T2/T1) + R ln (V2/V1) - R ln (1-ar1). (3/19/02)
- p252, problem 7.17, third line. Calculate the extensive change in U (underline U). (7/1/08)
- p 270, Fig 8.4, lower figure, the numbers next to lines represent reduced temperature.(1/26/01)
- p290, under heading 'Chemical Potential of a Pure Fluid', first line, change 'specific Gibbs' to 'molar Gibbs' (7/1/08)
- p304, first line, end of line, change xi to yi to give "multiply Eqn. 9.57 by Ki to obtain yi". (3/10/06)
- p 315, practice problem p9.3, replace 353K with 365.9K.(10/29/01)
- p 316, problem 9.7, the total pressure is 760 mmHg.(1/26/01)
- p369, Eqn 11.27, GE and UE should be divided by RT, as in GE/RT and UE/RT. (11/3/03).
- p 388, Example 11.13, under the line "utilizing Eqn. 11.90", the value of L12 should be 0.070.(1/26/01)
- p 389, Eqn 11.94, the parentheses at the beginning and end of equation are truncated. (1/26/01)
- p397, Example 11.15, the second line of the section labelled 'Solution' refers to Eqn 11.90. The reference should be to Eqn. 11.95. (10/20/04)
- p 406, Eqn 11.125 is truncated, the left side of the eq should be U - Uig. (7/24/01)
- p 411, problem P11.2, replace Lox with Wxo.(7/24/01)
- p 418, problem 11.30, 5th line, delete "/P" and replace with "xi" (4/13/01)
- p 426, second line of text where the lever rule is applied, the numbers in the numerator refer to the wrong segment, delete (0.5 - 0.07) and insert (0.93 - 0.5). (5/4/05)
- p473, Figure 13.16, process schematic, look at the decanter. Stream R2 should be coming from the top (organic) phase and stream R1 should be coming from the bottom (aqueous) phase. (4/16/03).
- p 487, last line of page, replace 70,790 with 70,240.(12/1/99)
- p 490, Eqn. 14.22, expression for mole fraction of H2, numerator should be 2(1-x). (6/11/01)
- p 493, line below Eqn. 14.30, replace "by plugging in I = 298.15" with "by plugging in T = 298.15".(9/22/99)
- p 495, Eqn 14.31, The center argument should read -DGTo /RT + DGRo /RTR.(8/14/00)
- p 498, Example 14.7, In the equation line just above 'Basis:', the equation for Ka is missing a subscript for the mole fraction of hydrogen, and should read PKa = yNH3 / [(yN2)(yH2)3]1/2. (4/25/02)
- p 512, top of page, CO row of stoichiometry table, last column is missing subscript, should be "2 - x1".(9/22/99)
- p 517, Eqn 14.51, replace "ln" with "log10" and add minus sign to right hand side of equation. (4/13/01)
- p527, problem 14.18 (b). clarification, the pressure is to be 1 bar.(7/1/08)
- p 537, line above Eqn 15.21, equation is truncated, the line should start "xi = ". (4/13/01)
- p 538, line above Eqn 15.23, equation is truncated, the equation should start "yi = ".(4/13/01)
- pg 538, Eqn 15.24, change the x to y in both places. (7/1/08)
- p 539, Example 15.23, the first two centered equations are truncated on the left and only the subscripts printed; the first argument of each should be yAM. (4/13/01)
- p 541, Fig 15.5, the z's in the left figure are true mole fractions, xAM, xBM, xAB, and xA2B.(12/1/99)
- pg 542, Eqn 15.30, change the x to y in both places. (7/1/08)
- p 551, Fig 15.7, the equation in the center is missing. Click here for the pg 551.
- p 567, Eqn 15.120, include Ndj as a product within the sum. (4/13/01)
- pg 602, Eqn B.25, in the argument of arctan, replace 2ax + b with 2cx + b. (5/19/08)
- p 607, figure at top, argument of delta function should be "x-x0".(1/26/01)
- p 621, step 2, last line is missing a comma so it doesn't make sense, it should be "correction, calc". (1/26/01)
Copyright © 2000-2001, Carl T. Lira, J. Richard Elliott. All rights reserved.