Professor, Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies
Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI 48824.
(517) 355 7649
I am a professor at the Electrical
and Computer Engineering Department, Michigan State University. I am also affiliated with the
Communications and Signal Processing Lab at
My research focuses on the theory and applications of statistical signal processing, in particular non-stationary signal analysis. I work on a variety of topics including: 1) transform based signal processing with an emphasis on sparsity-constrained feature extraction and classification; 2) signal processing methods for studying functional connectivity brain networks; 3) signal processing on graphs and networks; and 4) higher-order data analysis.
More recently, my research focuses on high-dimensional signal processing, in particular tensor representation of large volumes of data. In this area, we have developed efficient tensor decomposition methods and focused on the applications of tensor based methods for community detection in multi-layer networks such as the dynamic functional connectivity networks of the brain.
· CIF: Small: Low-Dimensional Structure Learning for Tensor Data with Applications to Neuroimaging, NSF, PI (co-PI: M. Iwen, Math), $500,000, 07/01/16-06/30/19.
· Cognitive Control in Anxiety: The Role of Ovarian Hormones, NIH, co-PI (PI: J. Moser), $3,381,819, 3/25/2016 - 2/28/2021.
· Functional mapping and control of the visual cortex: toward cortically-based visual neuroprosthesis, Michigan State University Foundation, co-PI (PI: W. Li), 09/01/14-08/31/17.
· Senior Area Editor, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, 2015-present.
· Associate Editor, IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing Over Networks, 2017-present.
· Associate Editor, Digital Signal Processing, 2018-present.
· Member, IEEE Signal Processing Society, SPTM Committee
· Member, IEEE Signal Processing Society, BISP Committee
Selected Recent Publications
Tensor Decomposition and Applications:
· E. Al-Sharoa, M. Alkhassaweneh and S. Aviyente, Tensor Based Temporal and Multi-layer Community Detection for Studying Brain Dynamics During Resting State fMRI, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, in press, 2018.
· A. Zare, A. Ozdemir, M. Iwen and S. Aviyente, Extension of PCA to higher order data structures: An Introduction to Tensors, Tensor Decompositions, and Tensor PCA, Proceedings of the IEEE, in press, 2018.
· A. Ozdemir, E. M. Bernat and S. Aviyente, Recursive Tensor Subspace Tracking for Dynamic Brain Network Analysis, IEEE Transactions on Signal and Information Processing on Networks, vol. 3, no. 4, pp. 669-682, 2017.
· A. G. Mahyari, D. Zoltowski, E. M. Bernat and S. Aviyente, A tensor decomposition based approach for detecting dynamic network states from EEG, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 64, no. 1, pp. 225-237, 2017.
Phase Synchrony and Functional Connectivity:
· M. Al-Khassaweneh, M. Villafane-Delgado, A. Y. Mutlu, and S. Aviyente, A Measure of Multivariate Phase Synchrony using Hyperdimensional Geometry, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, pp. 2774-2787, vol. 64, no. 11, 2016.
· T. P. Moran, E. M. Bernat, S. Aviyente, H. S. Schroder and J. Moser, Sending Mixed Signals: Worry is associated with enhanced initial error processing but reduced call for subsequent cognitive control, Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 10 (11), pp. 1548-1556, 2015.
· A. Ozdemir, M. Bolanos, E. M. Bernat and S. Aviyente, Hierarchical Spectral Consensus Clustering for Group Analysis of Functional Brain Networks, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 62, no. 9, pp. 2158-2169, 2015.
· S. Aviyente and A. Y. Mutlu, A Time-Frequency Based Approach to Phase and Phase Synchrony Estimation, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, vol. 59, no. 7, pp. 3086-3098, 2011.
· S. Aviyente, E. M. Bernat, W. S. Evans and S. R. Sponheim, A phase synchrony measure for quantifying dynamic functional integration in the brain," vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 80-93, Human Brain Mapping, 2011.
· Y. Liu, J. Moser and S. Aviyente, Community detection for directional neural networks inferred from multichannel multi-subject EEG data, IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 61, no. 7, pp. 1919-1930, 2014.
· Y. Liu and S. Aviyente, Quantification of Effective Connectivity in the Brain Using a Measure of Directed Information, Computational and Mathematical Methods in Medicine, 2012.
Signal Processing Approaches in Fault Diagnosis:
· R. K. Singleton II, E. G. Strangas and S. Aviyente, The Use of Bearing Currents and Vibrations in Lifetime Estimation of Bearings, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, vol. 13, no. 3, 2017.
· R. K. Singleton II, E. G. Strangas and S. Aviyente, Extended Kalman Filtering for Remaining Useful Life Estimation of Bearings, IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, vol. 62, no. 3, pp. 1781-1790, 2015.
· Esraa Al-Sharoa (Ph.D.)
· Emre Sofuoglu (Ph.D.)
· Tamanna Tabassum Khan Munia (Ph.D.)
· Zoe Dittman (B.S.)
· Ke Huang, Ph.D. 2007, currently at Google
· Mahmood Al-Khassaweneh, Ph.D. 2007, currently Associate Professor at Yarmouk University, Jordan
· Zeyong Shan, Ph.D. 2008, currently at Safety Vision
· Jacob Swary, M.S. 2007
· Westley Evans, M.S. 2008
· Marcos Bolanos, Ph.D. 2012, currently at CNA
· Ying Liu, Ph.D. 2012, currently at Bosch, Pittsburgh, PA
· Ali Yener Mutlu, Ph.D. 2012, currently Assistant Professor at Katip Celebi University, Izmir, Turkey
· Suhaily Cardona, M.S. 2012, currently at Applied Physics Lab, Baltimore, MD.
· Arash Mahyari, Ph.D. 2016, currently at ABB R&D Center, CA.
· Rodney Singleton, Ph.D. 2016, currently at Applied Physics Lab, Baltimore, MD.
· Marisel Villafane-Delgado, Ph.D. 2017, currently at Applied Physics Lab, Baltimore, MD.
· Alp Ozdemir, Ph.D. 2017, currently at GM, Detroit, MI.
· ECE 202, Circuits and Systems II (Spring 2011)
· ECE 280, Mathematical Methods in Electrical Engineering (Spring 2017)
· ECE 366, Introduction to Signal Processing (Fall 2015)
· ECE 457, Communication Systems (Spring 2005)
· ECE 466, Digital Signal Processing and Filter Design (Fall 2010, 2011, Spring 2017)
· ECE 866, Time-Frequency and Wavelet Analysis (Spring 2012, 2014, 2016)