Advising Links & Information

Apply for Financial Aid

Degree Navigator

Degree Navigator is a flexible, undergraduate advising and degree-audit tool that helps you and your advisor work together to monitor your progress toward your degree.  Log in to Degree Navigator with your MSUNetID and password.  If you need help or want some tips, browse the help pages once you are logged in.

Enrollment Changes

More info online at (effect of enrollment credits on specific aid programs) and (dropping credits or withdrawing).
Please note that disbursement rules may differ for summer semester.


Information regarding College of Engineering undergraduate scholarships can be found online at
Information on how scholarships affect your aid offer can be found online at
Links to scholarship searches can be found online at

Student Loans

More info online at

Summer Research Opportunities

Click here to receive information on Summer Research Internships in the College of Engineering.

Transfer Courses

Current MSU students considering transferring courses from another college or university as a Guest Student should follow the steps below to ensure that course work transfers to and is evaluated by MSU in a timely and accurate manner.

Important Policies for Courses Taken Elsewhere!

  1. Any course work that you complete elsewhere transfers to MSU only as credit; the grade does not transfer.
  2. You must earn at least a 2.0 (or "C" grade) in each transfer course at the guest institution for courses to transfer.
  3. You may not transfer credits from a community college to MSU once you have earned 56 total credits.  For example, if at the end of this term, you have 50 credits earned, you may transfer back only up to 6 credits from a 2-year college.
  4. Students may transfer credits from a 4-year institution at any time before their senior year.  Transferring credits during the senior year is possible, but restrictions apply, so see your academic advisor for details.

Important Procedures for Taking Courses Elsewhere!

  1. Discuss appropriate courses with your academic adviser.
  2. Check the Transfer MSU web site to determine if the course you want to transfer meets the requirement in your major.
  3. Check the schedule of the college/university you wish to attend to determine if the course is offered. 
  4. If the institution is in-state, you must complete and submit the Michigan Uniform Undergraduate Guest Application.  Print the returned form containing Registrar's seal and send The Guest Application to the institution you plan to attend. 
  5. If you intend to take a course not listed on Transfer MSU, you should bring a copy of the college/university's catalog and course descriptions to the MSU teaching department that offers the equivalent course for evaluation.  Phone number and office locations for academic departments can be found on the Schedule of Courses.
  6. If the course you intend to take is a prerequisite to a course you plan to take at MSU the following semester, you  must request an override for that course from the appropriate academic department.  Check the department web site to determine its override request procedures.
  7. If you plan to take a math course elsewhere, you must request a math override in order to enroll in the course(s) for which math is a prerequisite. 
  8. Transfer credit will not appear on your record for as many as 2-4 weeks (possibly longer for courses taken during summer semester) after MSU has received your transcript.  If you plan to use transfer credits to reach junior standing, you will not receive word about admission to your engineering major until we receive official notice of your transferred credits from the Registrar's Office.
  9.  After completing the course(s), request that an official transcript be sent to MSU in order to receive credit toward your degree.  Have the transcript mailed to:

    Transfer Credit Evaluation
    Admissions Office
    250 Administration Building
    Michigan State University
    East Lansing, MI 48824
  10. If you have any questions, please see your academic advisor.

Work Study and Work