- Biological pretreatment of lignocellulosic materials such as straws, corn stover, wood residues etc. to produce mono-sugars.
- High density enzymatic hydrolysis of lignocellulosic materials to enhance sugar yield and sugar concentration.
- Development of innovative anaerobic digestion systems to convert animal wastes to renewable energy and other bioproducts.
- Organic acid production from lignocellulosic materials using fungal fermentation.
- Simulating bioprocesses such as organic acids production, anaerobic digestion, ethanol fermentation etc., considering both technical and economic aspects.
- Genetic modification of yeast to develop a strain that is able to tolerance high ethanol concentration.
- BE 825 Properties of Biological Materials
- BE 360 Microbial Systems Engineering
- BE468 Biomass Conversion Engineering