Jan. 14, 2020
MSU ChemE team takes second prize in AlChE Beer Brewing Competition
MSU ChemE’s Sour Beer was runner up for the grand prize at the third annual AlChE Beer Brewing Competition in Orlando in November 2019.
PhD students and specialists Ryan Splichal, William Killian, Nicole Shriner, Bin Tan, and John Szafranski used their chemical engineering skills to create a tasty brew that took second place honors at the American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AIChE) national competition.
AlChE is the global organization for chemical engineers.
The tasting competition accounts for 80 percent of the overall score. It was judged by Beer Judge Certification Program official judges. The poster competition, which accounts for the remaining 20 percent of the overall score, was judged by AIChE professional members.
The AIChE Young Professionals Committee hosted the competition with support from the AIChE Foundation.
The winners are:
- Grand Prize – NMSBrew’s Ginger Beer
- Grand Prize 1st Runner Up – MSU ChemE’s Sour Beer
- Grand Prize 2nd Runner Up - Brewsburgh’s Oud Bruin
- Best of Show from BJCP Judges – NMSBrew’s Ginger Beer
- Best Poster Presentation – Brewsburgh
- People’s Choice Award – Bad News Beers’ Imperial Stout
- Most Efficient Brew – MMAIChE
- Biggest Beer – Fugacity Brewing
- Best Beer Label – Blind Squirrel Brewing’s Chipmunk Farmhouse Ale
Read more at: https://tinyurl.com/v7xccyf