1. What is the minimum TOEFL score needed to be admitted into the Mechanical Engineering program?
Subscores of 19 or above for reading, listening, and speaking; a writing subscore of 22 or above, and a total score of 80 or above are required for admission to the ME graduate program.
2. What is the minimum IELTS score needed to be admitted into the Mechanical Engineering program?
A minimum average score of 6.5 and minimum subscore of 6.0 are required or admission to the ME graduate program.
3. What is the minimum GRE score needed to be admitted into the Mechanical Engineering program?
There is no minimum required GRE score.
4. What is the minimum GPA needed to be admitted into the Mechanical Engineering program?
When making admission decisions for the ME graduate program, each applicant is evaluated on the holistic contents within the application package. In general, applicants admitted to the ME graduate program have a 3.5 GPA or higher.
5. When will a decision be made regarding my admission?
The committee will begin reviewing applications on the date of the deadline. The applicant will be notified in their portal once a decision has been made. There is no fixed time frame for that decision.
6. When is the deadline to apply?
The deadline to apply for the Fall semester is December 15th. The deadline to apply for the Spring semester is September 15th.
7. Can scores and other materials be uploaded after the deadline?
Yes, as long as the application is submitted by the deadline; applicants can upload materials and scores past the deadline. However, the committee encourages applicants to have all materials uploaded by the deadline.
8. What items need to be mailed to the department?
There are no application items that need to be mailed during the application process; all items must be uploaded to your portal. Once admission is granted, the applicant will be notified at that time whether additional material is requested.
9. How do I know my application is complete?
The application is complete when the following items are uploaded to the portal:
- GRE score
- TOEFL/IELTS score
- Personal and Academic Statements (if not completed on the application)
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Statement of Financial Proof and Affidavit of Support (if you are an international student and can provide for your own support as a graduate student)
10. What are the Mechanical Engineering department codes?
The GRE department code is 1502. The TOEFL department code is 68.
11. What are the areas of interest in the Mechanical Engineering department?
There are four general areas of research work in the ME department: 1) Biomechanics, 2) Solid Mechanics, Design and Advanced Manufacturing, 3) Dynamic Systems and Control, 4) Thermal and Fluid Science and Engineering.
There are two videos posted on the ME website highlighting these areas and some of the faculty research being conducted. It may be helpful to watch them, particularly the longer video. We do not restrict our research to these areas, and we are always looking for ground breaking research topics that have global impact.
12. Once an international student is admitted into the Mechanical Engineering program, how long does it take to process the complete admission package (ie: receive the VISA)?
It will take 6-8 weeks from the time the admissions office receives all of the documentation requested. This process cannot be expedited.
For more information, please visit the following page: http://www.egr.msu.edu/me/prospective-students/graduate-admission