Presentations and Tours

Interested in becoming a Spartan Engineer?  Our presentations and tours are a great opportunity for you to learn more about the admission process, programs and majors, and tour our labs and facilities. Sign up today!

Transfer Students Photo

Depending on the number of credits, Spartan Engineering prerequisites include:

Successfully completing the following courses: 

  • Writing: Writing as Inquiry (WRA 101) 
  • General Chemistry (CEM 141) and Chemistry Lab I (CEM 161) (EXCEPTIONS: Computer Science Majors exempted from requirement; Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering students are required to take CEM 151. Students with CEM 141 credit need to take an exam that, if passed, would waive CEM 151. Without a passing score, students must take CEM 151 at MSU.) 
  • Intro to Engineering Modeling (EGR 102) (Note: Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Computer Science students complete CSE 231. Electrical Engineer majors take CSE 220 instead.)
  • Calculus I (MTH 132)
  • Calculus II (MTH 133)
  • Calculus lll (MTH 234)
  • Physics for Scientists and Engineers I (PHY 183)
  • Physics for Scientists and Engineers Il (PHY 184)
  • Mechanical Engineering majors must have an overall GPA of 3.6 and 3.4 GPA in all technical courses. Computer Science, and Chemical and Material Sciences Engineering majors must have an overall GPA of 3.4 and a 3.2 GPA in all technical courses. All other engineering majors require an overall GPA of 3.2 and a 3.0 GPA in technical coursework.

The following table indicates which courses you will need to have completed when you are transferring less than 28 credits, less than 42 credits and 42 credits or more. Also listed is the GPA (on a 4 point scale) that will be required for admission to the College of Engineering as well as when applying to MSU.

Your technical GPA is an average of the grades you have received for all technical courses, for example: MTH 132 is considered a technical course and is used in calculating your technical GPA, WRA 101 is not. Here is how to calculate your technical GPA.

Courses will be accepted according to the Transfer MSU page as well as based on grade earned. Grades lower than a “C” will not be transferrable as credit. All credit will be reviewed on a 4-point scale and grades will follow according to the grading scale that is used at the institution you completed the course at.

Transfer Credits

  • Students transferring from two-year institutions may transfer a maximum of 60 semester credits for use toward a bachelor's degree.
  • Students transferring from four-year institutions may transfer all credits that they have received.
  • Course work assigned a grade of 2.0 or higher may be recognized in transfer. Any courses taken that resulted in a grade below a 2.0 are not eligible for transfer credit.
  • Students with 42 or more completed credits must select a major; the major of no preference cannot be chosen.
    • It is recommended for students majoring in Chemical Engineering to take Organic Chemistry.
    • It is recommended for students majoring in Biosystems Engineering to take BS 161 equivalent.

Visit to determine the number of credits transferrable to MSU. There are also additional resources for international transfer students.

Transfer Application Process

If you fulfill all the requirements described above, you can apply by filling out the online transfer student application through the Office of Admissions. Be sure to apply a full semester before your desired entry date.


All scholarships available for transfer students are based on academic achievement or financial need. Transfer students do not need to apply for any of these scholarships since students are immediately taken in to consideration after being accepted in to Michigan State University. If you are selected to receive a scholarship you will be notified.              


If you still have questions after reviewing this website, you can then schedule a meeting with one of the engineering transfer personnel. (You must have the necessary GPA specified above.) Email with your unofficial transcript in PDF format to schedule an appointment.