Admission to graduate programs in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering is open to all candidates on the basis of academic preparation and ability, and, in the case of the PhD program, the availability of funding. The applicants must complete the Online Application for Admission to Graduate Study, submit it with a credit card number or by electronic check or money order to cover the application fee (domestic = $65.00; international = $75.00). Only complete applications will be reviewed, which requires submission of the following items:
- A curriculum vitae (CV).
- A personal statement that articulates the applicant’s professional development goals, including details of the areas of research interest and/or specific faculty with whom the applicant is interested in working.
- Three letters of recommendation. In the Online Application, enter the contact information for each reference, including their e-mail address.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores are required for all applicants. GRE test scores must be provided directly by the Educational Testing Service (ETS).
- For international applicants, test scores from the exam for English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) are required. Scores must be sent to MSU directly by the testing agency. Results are generally not required for international applicants who have graduated from a US university or are from universities where English is the language of instruction.
- Two official copies of transcripts from all previous universities attended (undergraduate and graduate), as well as proof of diploma (graduate certificate) in an unopened sealed university envelope by the university. International students’ transcripts must be in the original language and in English, if applicable. These transcripts and certificates should be sent to:
Michigan State University
Dept. of Civil and Environmental Engineering
428 South Shaw Lane
Room 3546 Engineering Building
East Lansing, Michigan, USA 48824