What do Computer Scientists do?
Computers have permeated nearly all areas of human activity and there is a rapidly increasing demand for Computer Scientists to make them effective, efficient, and entertaining. There is an ever-growing range of opportunities for software engineering, hardware design, systems analysis and design, network and communications engineering, database design and development, graphics and image processing, technical consulting, and marketing. The Computer Science program prepares students for careers developing the systems of tomorrow, from embedded systems in automobiles to desktop applications to mobile devices and the World Wide Web. Virtually all aspects of the human experience are touched by the work our graduates do.
Is there a high demand for Computer Scientists?
The opportunities for Computer Scientists are vast. Starting salaries are consistently in the top ten for all Bachelor’s degrees. A diverse range of businesses are seeking qualified graduates including:
- Online companies such as Amazon.com, Hulu, Netflix, Facebook, and LinkedIn
- Computer technology companies such as Apple, Cisco, Microsoft, and Google
- Media companies such as Disney, ESPN, Time-Warner, and DirecTV
- Mobile app developers such as Uber, Slacker Radio, and Spotify
- Service businesses ranging from insurance to finance
- Product designers and manufacturers such as General Electric, Hershey, Ford, Marathon Oil, Boeing
Companies recently hiring our Computer Science graduates include:
- General Motors
- Ford Motor Company
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Barracuda Networks
Learn More! Visit the Computer Science & Engineering site: http://www.cse.msu.edu/