Admission to the College
Current MSU students must meet the following criteria for admission AND submit an application (see link below) DURING the semester they expect to complete the below requirements. Students must apply and be admitted prior to reaching 56 total credits, or they will need to change majors to something outside of Engineering. Applications can still be submitted after the 56 credit mark.
- Completion of at least 28 credits earned after matriculation to Michigan State University (AP, Dual Enrollment, CLEP, IB, A-Level credits do not count toward the 28).
- Completion of Mathematics 132 and 133 with a minimum grade of 2.0 in each course.
- A minimum grade-point average of 2.0 in all mathematics courses.
- Completion of Chemistry 141 or 151 for all majors except Computational Data Science and Computer Science (Chemical Engineering students must take CEM151)
- Completion of Physics 183 or 183B.
- Completion of a technical computing class, based on intended major
- Computer Science 231 for Computer Engineering, Computer Science, and Mechanical Engineering majors only.
- Computer Science 220 for Electrical Engineering majors only
- Computational Math Science Engineering 202 for Computational Data Science majors only.
- Engineering 102 for Applied Engineering Sciences, Biosystems Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering
- Completion of Engineering 100.
- Attain the specific combination (combo) GPA requirements for their declared major (Click here to find out how to calculate your combo GPA.)
- 3.1 - Mechanical Engineering
- 3.0 - Applied Engineering Sciences
- 2.9 - Biosystems Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computational Data Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Science (NOTE THAT WITH THE DECEMBER, 2020 ADMISSIONS PROCESS, CSE WILL MOVE TO A 3.0 COMBO GPA), Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering
ENGINEERING ADMISSION APPLICATION DEADLINES:
If you will complete your last admission requirement(s) in FALL semester, apply no later than DECEMBER 11.
If you will complete your last admission requirement(s) in SPRING semester, apply no later than APRIL 30.
If you will complete your last admission requirement(s) in SUMMER semester, apply no later than AUGUST 19.
Decisions will be communicated within a week of the final posting of grades for a semester, and will be communicated via Confidential Message System.
ENGINEERING ADMISSION APPLICATION LINK:
Current MSU students, seeking admission to Engineering, CLICK HERE for the APPLICATION.
- Apply DURING the semester in which you expect to complete the above admission courses.
- The above admission link will become active during the 6th day of class and will be taken down after the above deadline dates.
- If the admission requirements are not met by completion of 56 credits (junior standing), the University requires changing out of the engineering major and then re-applying to the College of Engineering DURING the semester you expect to reach the admission criteria
Looking to transfer from your current college/university to MSU?
Transferring to Michigan State University is competitive, but all of our majors accept transfer students each year. Highly qualified students wishing to be an MSU Spartan engineer are encouraged to apply! Most admission decisions will be made in late January and February. Therefore, priority is usually given to early applicants. Students interested in transferring to MSU as an engineering major should contact Mr. Drew Kim at (517) 353-7282 to make an appointment.
Transfer students with junior standing who entered majors other then engineering must complete at least 12 credits of Michigan State University courses to be admitted to a major in the College of Engineering, including at least 6 credits in mathematics, physical and biological sciences, and engineering for freshmen and sophomores, and at least 10 credits in mathematics, physical and biological sciences, and engineering for juniors and seniors. These students are then considered for admission to an engineering major based on MSU grades using the criteria for internal students.