Admission to the College
Current MSU students must meet the following criteria for admission AND submit an application to be considered (see link below):
- Completion of at least 28 credits earned after matriculation to Michigan State University (AP, Dual Enrollment, CLEP, IB, A-Level credits do not count toward the 28).
- Completion of Mathematics 132 and 133 with a minimum grade of 2.0 in each course.
- A minimum grade-point average of 2.0 in all mathematics courses.
- Completion of Chemistry 141 or 151 for all majors except Computational Data Science and Computer Science (Chemical Engineering students must take CEM151)
- Completion of Physics 183 or 183B.
- Completion of a technical computing class, based on intended major
- Computer Science 231 for Computer Engineering, Computer Science, and Mechanical Engineering majors only.
- Computer Science 220 for Electrical Engineering majors only
- Computational Math Science Engineering 202 for Computational Data Science majors only.
- Engineering 102 for Applied Engineering Sciences, Biosystems Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering
- Completion of Engineering 100.
- Attain the specific combination (combo) GPA requirements for their declared major (Click here to find out how to calculate your combo GPA.)
- 3.1 - Mechanical Engineering
- 3.0 - Applied Engineering Sciences
- 2.9 - Biosystems Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computational Data Science, Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Environmental Engineering and Materials Science and Engineering
The application for admission to the College of Engineering is currently closed.
Please note this link will become active during the second week of each semester, and will be taken down on the following deadlines:
April 1, for consideration for summer semester admissions
August 1, for consideration for fall semester admissions
November 15, for consideration for spring semester admissions
Looking to transfer from your current college/university to MSU?
Transferring to Michigan State University is competitive, but all of our majors accept transfer students each year. Highly qualified students wishing to be an MSU Spartan engineer are encouraged to apply! Most admission decisions will be made in late January and February. Therefore, priority is usually given to early applicants. Students interested in transferring to MSU as an engineering major should contact Mr. Drew Kim at (517) 353-7282 to make an appointment.
Transfer students with junior standing who entered majors other then engineering must complete at least 12 credits of Michigan State University courses to be admitted to a major in the College of Engineering, including at least 6 credits in mathematics, physical and biological sciences, and engineering for freshmen and sophomores, and at least 10 credits in mathematics, physical and biological sciences, and engineering for juniors and seniors. These students are then considered for admission to an engineering major based on MSU grades using the criteria for internal students.