Errata for 13th Printing of Introductory Chemical Engineering
NOTE: Many of these items were corrected gradually in printings subsequent to printing 13, but we have not verified them.
Last updated 3/21/10
This page is periodically updated as new errors are found. The date that the error
was recorded is listed at the end of each line.
- pg 31, homework problem 1.3, clarification. line 2, 'Calculate the T and P' should be 'Calculate the P'. (7/1/08).
- pg 80, homework problem 2.2, clarification. line 2, 'liquid at 25oC' should be 'liquid at 25oC and 1 bar' (7/1/08)
- p167, problem 4.7, eliminate part (d).(7/1/08)
- pg 192, homework problem 5.10, typos. 'follwing it terms' should be 'following in terms' (7/1/08)
- p252, problem 7.17, third line. Calculate the extensive change in U (underline U). (7/1/08)
- p290, under heading 'Chemical Potential of a Pure Fluid', first line, change 'specific Gibbs' to 'molar Gibbs' (7/1/08)
- p305, Two lines above example 9.1. Reference should be to appendix A. (12th printing is wrong and other printings may have the incorrect reference. 4th-10th printing is OK.) (3/21/08)
- p 315, practice problem p9.3, replace 353K with 365.9K.(7/1/08)
- p 320 2nd sentence of paragraph beginning "To obtain..." should refer to Chapter 6, NOT Chapter 8. (7/23/08)
- p 328, bottom of page, numerical calulation of vapor fugacity coefficient for 1; there is an extra set of parantheses in the ln term. 2nd line from bottom.Rremove the '(' immediately after ln, 3rd line from bottom remove the final ')'. (11/12/09)
- p 328, second line from bottom, replace 0.9686 with 0.09686. (11/12/09)
- p 329, top of page, numerical calulation of vapor fugacity coefficient for 2; there is an extra set of parantheses in the ln term. Remove the '(' immediately after ln, and remove the final ')'. (11/12/09)
- p369, Eqn 11.27, demominator is missing the closing paranthesis in the denominator. (7/1/08).
- p473, Figure 13.16, process schematic, look at the decanter. Stream R2 should be coming from the top (organic) phase and stream R1 should be coming from the bottom (aqueous) phase. (4/30/08).
- p495, Eqn 14.31, The center argument should read DGRo /RTR -DGTo /RT.(7/1/08)
- p527, problem 14.18 (b). clarification, the pressure is to be 1 bar.(7/1/08)
- p 530 footnote should say "..., dimers, trimers" NOT "..., dimers, timers" . (7/23/08)
- pg 538, Eqn 15.24, change the x to y in both places. (7/1/08)
- pg 542, line 2. The iyi at the beginning of the line should be iyi. (7/31/08)
- pg 542, Eqn 15.30, change the x to y in both places. (7/1/08)
- pg 602, Eqn B.25, in the argument of arctan, replace 2ax + b with 2cx + b. (5/19/08)
E-mail additional errors to email@example.com.
,Copyright © 2000-5, Carl T. Lira, J. Richard Elliott. All rights reserved.