Timothy Grotjohn, Professor and Chairperson top
Withrow Exceptional Service Award,
2005-2007 Acting Chairperson, Electrical &
Computer Engineering, Michigan State University
Selected Publications - See the curriculum vitae
(above) for full list of publications.
R. Ramamurti, M. Becker,
2. K. W. Hemawan, I. S. Wichman, T. Lee, T. A. Grotjohn and J. Asmussen, "Compact re-entrant microwave cavity applicator for plasma-assisted combustion," Rev. Sci. Instrum., 80, 053507, 2009.
3. K. W. C. Lai, J. J. Narendra, N. Xi, J. B. Zhang, T. A. Grotjohn, J. Asmussen, "Development of plasma nanomanufacturing workcell," J. Manufacturing Sci. and Technol.- Trans. ASME, 132, 031003-031011, 2010.
4. D. T. Tran, C. Fansler, T. A. Grotjohn, D. K. Reinhard, and J. Asmussen, "Investigation of mask selectivities and diamond etching using microwave plasma-assisted etching," Diamond and Relat. Mater., 19, 778-782, 2010.
K.W. Hemawan, T.A. Grotjohn,
D.K. Reinhard, and J.Asmussen,
"High pressure microwave plasma assisted
6. X. Rao, K. W. Hemawan, C. Carter, I.Wichman, T. Grotjohn, J. Asmussen, and T.Lee, "Combustion dynamics for energetically enhanced flames using direct microwave energy coupling", Proc. Combust. Inst., 33, 3232-3240, 2011.
7. X. Rao, S. Hammack, C. Carter, T. Grotjohn, J. Asmussen and T. Lee, "Microwave plasma coupled re-ignition of methane and oxygen mixture under auto-ignition temperature," IEEE Trans. Plasma Science, 39, 3307-3313, 2011.
8. Y. J. Gu, J. Lu, T. Grotjohn, T. Schuelke and J. Asmussen, "Microwave plasma reactor design for high pressure and high power density diamond synthesis," Diamond and Related Materials, 24, 210-214, 2012.
9. D. K. Reinhard, D. T. Tran, T. Schuelke, M. F. Becker, T. A. Grotjohn and J. Asmussen, "SiO2 antireflection layers for single-crystal diamond," Diamond and Related Materials, 25, 84-86, 2012.
1. U.S. patent (#8,316,797), Nov. 27, 2012, Microwave plasma reactors, J. Asmussen, T. Grotjohn, D. K. Reinhard, M. Yaran, K. W. Hemawan, M. Becker, D. King, Y. Gu and J. Lu
2. U.S. patent (#7,442,271), October 28, 2008, Miniature microwave plasma torch application and method of use thereof, J. Asmussen, T. Grotjohn, S. Zuo and K. Hemawan.
3. U.S. patent (#7,262,408), Aug. 28, 2007, Process and apparatus for modifying a surface in a work region, J. Asmussen, T. Grotjohn, N. Xi, and T. P. Hogan.
4. U.S. patent (#7,147,810), Drapable diamond thin films and method for the preparation thereof, D. K. Reinhard, J. Asmussen, M. F. Becker, T. A. Grotjohn, T. Schuelke, and R. Booth.
5. U.S. patent (#6,759,808), Microwave stripline applicators, T. A. Grotjohn, J. Asmussen, and A. Wijaya.
6. U.S. patent (#6,890,300), “Implantable microscale pressure sensor system for pressure monitoring and management,” J. Lloyd, T. A. Grotjohn, A. Weber, F. Rosenbaum and G. Goodall.
Dr. Grotjohn's scholarly interests include the modeling,
design, diagnostics, and control of plasma-assisted materials processes and
processing machines. This work focuses on the use of models, including
electromagnetic, plasma dynamic, and plasma chemistry models, for the design
and control of microwave plasma reactors used for materials processing.
Specific processes studied have included diamond
Description of research: Research Description
Description of diamond electronics research: Diamond Electronics
Description of diamond related research with Fraunhofer: http://www.ccl-diamond.org
ECE 480: "Electrical & Computer
Engineering Capstone Design"
Course website: http://www.egr.msu.edu/classes/ece480/capstone/EE/ECE 476: "Electro-optics"
EE 842: "Quantum Electronics"
EE/PHY 850: "Plasma Physics"
EE 989A: "Plasma Processsing"