FOCUS is a free cross-platform ultrasound simulation tool that quickly and accurately calculates pressure fields generated by single transducers and phased arrays.
What's new in version 0.760?
- FOCUS is now available for Mac OS X (Intel only)
- The examples included with FOCUS have been greatly improved
- Version 0.594 includes many important bug fixes. We recommend that all users upgrade to this version to get these benefits.
See the release notes for more details.
FOCUS is simple to use for both experts and non-experts from any supported version of MATLAB.
Most software suffers very large errors in the nearfield and especially at the transducer face. The Fast Nearfield Method removes a singularity present in most methods that allows FOCUS to achieve high accuracy in this region.
Our implementation of the Fast Nearfield Method is the fastest method of ultrasound simulation that we've seen; FNM is O(n) rather than O(n2) like most methods.
Using Time-Space Decomposition, FOCUS is able to perform transient calculations very quickly and at lower sample rates for the same accuracy.
FOCUS is more accurate than most ultrasound simulation software while still maintaining its speed advantage due to the relatively small number of abscissas required by the Fast Nearfield Method.
Memory usage in FOCUS is significantly lower than in most software, especially in transient calculations due to the advantages of TSD.
Radiation Force Modeling
Analysis of computation time and accuracy of FOCUS calculations.
Waveform Diversity and 3-D Heating
Simulation of a 1,444-element spherical section array.
We've compiled a number of resources you might be interested in if you want to learn more about FOCUS and the theory behind it.
- ASA Background Information
- ASA Documentation
- FNM Background Information
- Publications related to FOCUS
- Applications of FOCUS
- Documentation of the MATLAB functions that make up FOCUS
- Examples distributed with FOCUS
- General FOCUS documentation; e.g. how to set up a simulation.
- Other FOCUS-related software
FOCUS is available for Linux and Windows. We compile 32- and 64-bit versions of the software for MATLAB R2009b, MATLAB R2010a, MATLAB R2011b, and MATLAB R2012b.
You can download FOCUS version 0.760 from the download page.