Gary L. Cloud
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Registered Professional Engineer, State of Michigan
- B.S. Michigan Technological University, 1959
- M.S. Michigan Technological University, 1961
- Ph.D. Michigan State
- Adv. Study Imperial College, London, 1977
Areas of Interest
Experimental mechanics, optical methods of measurement,
geomechanics, biomechanics, nondestructive evaluation, computer-aided strain
Awards and Honors (for complete list see full curriculum vitae)
- Fellow, Society for Experimental Mechanics, 2001
- Fellow, Institute of Physics, 2001
- M.M. Frocht Award: Society for Experimental Mechanics, 1999.
- University Distinguished Faculty Award: Michigan State University, 1994.
- Withrow Distinguished Scholar Award: MSU-Engineering College, 1995.
- Withrow Excellence in Teaching Award: MSU-Engineering College, 1992, 2004.
- Outstanding Engineering Educator: Mich. Soc. Prof. Eng., 1992.
- E/T Award, Best Paper in Journal Exp. Tech.: SEM, 1988.
- Science Faculty Fellowship: NSF 1976-77.
- Senior Research Associate: National Research Council, 1975-76.
Technical Societies and Offices (partial)
- Society for Experimental Mechanics (President, Vice President, many committees).
- British Society for Strain Measurement.
- Institute of Physics (Measurement Science and Technology Int'l Advisory Board).
- Society of Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineers.
- Book: Optical Methods of Engineering Analysis,
Cambridge University Press, New York:(hardbound) 1995; (revised second
printing: softbound) 1998.
- "Ocular Tonometry Through Sonic Excitation and Laser
Doppler Velocimetry," (with J. M.
Hamelink), Journal of Biomechanical Engineering,
101, 267-270, (1979).
- "A Whole-field Interferometric Scheme for Measuring
Strain and Flow Rates of Glacier and Other
Naturally Occurring Surfaces," (with E. Conley), Journal of
Glaciology, 29, 103, 492-497, (1983).
- "Measurement of Three-Dimensional Mode-1 Stress
Factor Using Multiple Embedded Grid
Moire Technique," (with S. Dhar and S. Paleebut), Theor. and
App. Fracture Mech., Vol. 12, 2,
141-147, (December 1989).
- "Moire to 1370C," (with M. Bayer), Experimental
Techniques, 12, 3, 24-27, (April 1988) (This paper received the E/T
Award for Best Paper of Year.
- "Resolution Experiments Using the White-Light Speckle
Method," (with Edgar Conley), Applied
Optics, 30, 7, 795-802, (March 1991).
- "Strain-Relief Inserts for Composite Fasteners-An
Experimental Study," (with Pedro J. Herrera
Franco), Journal of Composite Materials, 26, 5,
- "Energy Density Approach for Calculation of
Three-Dimensional Inelastic Strain and Stress at the
Crack Tip in Polycarbonate," (with S. Dhar), Int. Jrnl.
Fracture, 53, 229-248, (1992).
- "The Application of Interferometric Techniques to the
Nondestructive Inspection of Fiber Reinforced
Materials," (with J. Nokes), Experimental Mechanics., 33, 4
- Lanza di Scalea, F., Hong, S.S. and Cloud, G.L.,
"Whole-Field Strain Measurement in Pin-Loaded
Plate by ESPI and FEM," Experimental Mechanics, 38,1,56-61
- Lanza di Scalea, F., Cappello, F. and Cloud, G.L., "On the Effect of Interference
Fits in Composite
Pin-Joints," Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials, 12,
pp23-32, Jan. 1999.
- Dejardin, L.M., Arnoczky, S.P., and Cloud, G.L., "Determination of Strain
Patterns in the Normal Equine Hoof Using Photoelasticity - An In Vitro Study,"
Equine Veterinary Journal, 31, 3, pp 232-37,1999.
Representative Current Projects
- "NDE, Impact, and Strain Analysis of Composites," with D. Liu, U.S. Army.
- "High-speed cost effective NDI" (patent granted).
- "Improved techniques for digital speckle strain measurment (patent granted).
- "Automated measurement of crack length and crack opening displacement."
To Gary Cloud's Directory Page
Please send any feedback, suggestions, and
information to be added to this page by email to
Last modified on 10 September 2001