Home Projects About Links EnviroTools Glossary Search
 

 


Occidental Chemical Site, Whitehall, Michigan

The Occidental Chemical Corporation (OCC) facility is located in Montague Township, just west of Montague, Michigan and north of White Lake. The facility operated from 1952 to 1983, producing chlorine and hydrogen gas, hydrochloric and muriatic acid, and hexachlorocyclopentadiene.

In 1979, a Consent Judgement was entered in Michigan that required OCC to excavate contaminated soil. The soil was placed in an on-site vault. A purge well system was also installed to prevent site contaminants from discharging to White Lake.

In 1993, U.S. EPA issued a RCRA Order that required OCC to conduct investigations, and evaluate and implement corrective measures. OCC has continued to operate the purge well system, conducted a water user survey, installed fencing to restrict site access, removed a waste asbestos pile, completed the site investigations, and evaluated corrective measures. Since 1993, OCC has removed over 2.5 billion gallons of contaminated groundwater or 60.000 pounds of hazardous waste in groundwater from the local environment.

Click here for the investigation results for this site and Scope of Corrective Action.

Click here for the Summary of Corrective Measures.

Click here for the Proposed Remedy by U.S. EPA.

 


The Midwest Hazardous Substance Research Center, Michigan State University.
Please contact us if you have any comments or questions.