Luckey Beryllium Site, Luckey, Ohio
Photo Courtesy of Army Corps of Engineers
During World War II, National Lead produced magnesium at a manufacturing site in the Village of Luckey, Ohio, under contract from the United States government. Later, the Atomic Energy Commission (AEC) reopened the site as a beryllium production facility. Brush Beryllium Company produced beryllium pebbles, beryllium oxide and beryllium hydroxide from 1949 until 1959. The property was transferred to Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, then to Motor Wheel Corporation. The site is currently used by Uretech International, Inc., to apply urethane coatings to motor wheels.
The site covers approximately forty acres of land in Luckey. The primary contaminants have been identified as beryllium, uranium-238, thorium-230, thorium-232, radium-226, and their naturally occurring decay products. Other contaminants may be present in the forms of sludge, inorganic chemicals, and heavy metals. Some of the soil samples collected at the site contained low concentrations of organic compounds, including benzene, toluene, xylene, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs).
Documents relevant to this site: