Is to provide a safe and productive environment.
Shop Hours & Extended hours.
(Extended hours are anything after 5:00 pm)
Extended hours are by appointment only,15 students maximum in the MTL durning extended hours.
Monday 8:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Tuesday 8:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Wednesday 8:00 - 5:00 p.m.
Thursday 10:00 - 8:30 p.m.
Friday 8:00 - 4:30 p.m.
updated 10/24/2016 mk
Shop Safety Training
As of July 1, 2013 all students will be required to take safety training before they can work in the MTL.
This training will cover the shop safety rules and the safe and proper use of the equipment.
Faculty are also invited to attend. If you have Grad students or undergrads that need to use the shop for research projects, please advise them to attend.
This training will be offered spring and fall. Check the website for dates and times.
- Safety glasses (properly fitted) must be worn at all times in the shop. Some operations and equipment may require additional personal protective equipment.
- No loose clothing may be worn in the shop, including ties, scarves, and loose sleeves.Open-toed or open heeled shoes, hooded sweatshirts with strings, short pants, gloves, or skirts are also prohibited.
- Remove jewelry before beginning work, including rings, necklaces, bracelets and watches.
- Long hair must be pulled back and secured and contained; long beards must also be contained.
- Sign in all graduate and undergraduate students must sign in upon arrival.
- Approval to operate power equipment must be obtained prior to use.
- Cell phones and other personal electronic devices must not be used when working at any machine. Loud music is prohibited.
- Food and drinks are permitted in designated areas only.
- All guards and shields must be secured and in place prior to operating equipment.
- Compressed air must not be used to clean machinery, skin or clothing. Students are required to clean up using vacuums, brooms and dust pans.
- Never work alone a Supervisor or Student Personnel must be present at all times.
- Damaged equipment, or equipment that does not appear to be operating normally, must not be used. Tag it as out of service and report the issue to the Supervisor or Student Personnel.
- Immediately report all problems or concerns to the Supervisor or Student Personnel.
- Aisles, exits, and access to emergency equipment must be kept clear at all times.
- Clean up starts 15 min prior to scheduled closing time of the shop. All students are required to clean up there work area and put away all materials and tools.
- Supervisors and Student Personnel have full authority over the shop and its safe use, including the responsibility, authority, and obligation to prohibit the unsafe use of machinery, power tools and hand tools for the safety of an individual, others in the shop, or the equipment.
- No personal projects are allowed in the Engineering Shop.
911 Emergency Dispatch
Inform them if this is a Mg Powder Fire
|428 S. Shaw Lane B250
East Lansing, MI 48824
| MSU Police and Public Safety
EHS (previously O.R.C.B.S.)
Supervisor, Roy B. 242-7093
Shop Supervisor, Mike K.
|Mechanical Engineering Main Office