Frequently Asked Questions about the graduate admission process
Application Quick Guide
Applications from students are due by the following dates and will be reviewed beginning:
- December 15 for Fall enrollment
- September 15 for Spring enrollment (Only a very small number of financial aid offers are available to Spring applicants.)
Applications are all considered for financial aid and assistantships. Applications received by the above dates will receive the maximum consideration for this financial aid and assistantships.
- Applicants to MS programs should have earned a BS in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or a closely related field prior to the term for which they are applying.
- Applicants can enter directly into a PhD program after earning their BS in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or a closely related field prior to the term for which they are applying - this is called the Direct Admit PhD program.
- Applicants who have earned a MS degree in Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Mechanics, or a closely related field prior to the term for which they are applying can also enter the PhD program.
Applicants must complete the following:
Upload electronically with your Michigan State University application
- An official copy of your Graduate Record Examination (GRE). The Mechanical Engineering department code for the GRE is 1502.
- An official copy of your TOEFL Scores for applicants from countries where the official language is not English. Applicants should have all test scores sent from the testing agency directly to Michigan State University; Office of Admissions; Hannah Administration Building; 426 Auditorium Road, Room 250; East Lansing, Michigan 48824-2604. The Mechanical Engineering deparment code for the TOEFL is 68. Click here for the English Language Proficiency Minimum Requirements
- A "Statement of Financial Proof and Affidavit of Support" if you are an international student and can provide for your own support as a graduate student. For more information about the Statement of Financial Proof and Affidavit of Support click here
- A copy of your resume
- A written personal statement describing how your background and life experiences - including social, economic, cultural, familial, educational, or other opportunities or challenges - motivated your decision to pursue a graduate degree. Your Personal Statement should be concise, and no more than 2 pages when formatted in Times New Roman 12-point font with 1-inch margins and single line spacing.
- A written academic statement explaining your reasons for seeking a graduate program degree. The following statement must be included: "My intended area of specialization in the graduate program in Mechanical Engineering at Michigan State University will be in ___________________________." Your Academic Statement should be concise, and no more than 2 pages when formatted in Times New Roman 12-point font with 1-inch margins and single line spacing.
Current Research Groups are:
Biomechanics Engineering Group
Dynamic Systems and Controls Group
Fluid-Thermal Science and Engineering Group
Solid Mechanics, Design, and Manufacturing Group
Completion requires an application fee. Requirements and fees are not waived.
The graduate application fee is $65 for domestic students and $75 for international students.
Upload/enter additional application materials/information and request letters of recommendations using the graduate student education portal which you access with your MSU applicant ID and password. The portal also allows you to check the status of your application and send e-messages to the department.
2. Additionally, submit the following required document to the university
3. Submit only the following required document to the Department of Mechanical Engineering (this document can be mailed after admission, but must be uploaded to your portal prior to the deadline)
You must make sure that all the above documents: application, exam scores, financial proof, and recommendations use exactly the same first and last names. One of the largest single causes for incomplete applications is an applicant's use of multiple forms their name including reversal of last (family) name and first (personal) name on application documents. Admissions cannot correctly process documents if different forms of your name are used on documents submitted. Be consistent.
The Mechanical Engineering Department's address is:
Department of Mechanical Engineering
428 S. Shaw Lane, Rm. 2555
East Lansing, MI 48824-1226
For more information, please email the Mechanical Engineering Graduate program at firstname.lastname@example.org