Presentations and Tours
Interested in becoming a Spartan Engineer? Our presentations and tours are a great opportunity for you to learn more about the admission process, programs and majors, and tour our labs and facilities. Sign up today!
Spartan Engineering prerequisites include...
- Successfully completing the following courses:
- Writing: Science and Technology (WRA 110) or Writing: The Evolution of American Thought (WRA 150)
- General Chemistry (CEM 141) and Chemistry Lab I (CEM 161) (Except for Computer Science Majors)
- Intro to Engineering Modeling (EGR 102) (Note: Computer Engineering and Computer Science students complete CSE 231/Electrical Engineer majors take CSE 220 instead.)
- Calculus I (MTH 132)
- Calculus II (MTH 133)
- Physics for Scientists and Engineers I (PHY 183)
- Mechanical Engineering majors must have an overall GPA of 3.6 and 3.4 GPA in all technical courses. Computer Science, and Chemical and Material Sciences Engineering majors must have an overall GPA of 3.4 and a 3.2 GPA in all technical courses. All other engineering majors require an overall GPA of 3.2 and a 3.0 GPA in technical coursework.
What to do if you already have...
- Less than 28 credits
- Complete Writing: Science and Technology (WRA 110) or Writing: The Evolution of American Thought (WRA 150)
- Complete Calculus I (MTH 132) and one of the other prerequisite courses listed above
- Submit high school transcript and test scores with application
- Less than 42 credits
- Complete the requirements listed above (Spartan Engineering Prerequisites)
- 42 credits or more
- Make sure you have completed the requirements listed above.
- Complete Multivariable Calculus (MTH 234) and Physics for Scientists and Engineers II (PHY 184)
- Organic Chemistry is strongly recommended if you are a Chemical Engineering student
- With 42 credits or more, you are considered a "direct admit" candidate and your application will be reviewed for acceptance into the College of Engineering.
- All courses mentioned above MUST be completed
Visit transfer.msu.edu to determine the number of credits transferrable to MSU.
Transfer Application Process
If you fulfill all the requirements described above, you can apply by filling out the online transfer student application through the Office of Admissions. Be sure to apply a full semester before your desired entry date.
If you still have questions after reviewing this website, you can then schedule a meeting with one of the engineering transfer personnel. (You must have the necessary GPA specified above.) Email email@example.com with your unofficial transcript in PDF format to schedule an appointment.