Presentations and Tours
Interested in becoming a Spartan Engineer? Our presentations and tours are a great opportunity for you to learn more about the admission process, programs and majors, and tour our labs and facilities. Sign up today!
Spartan Engineering prerequisites include...
- Successfully completing the following courses:
- Writing: Writing as Inquiry (WRA 101)
- General Chemistry (CEM 141) and Chemistry Lab I (CEM 161) (Except for Computer Science Majors)
- Intro to Engineering Modeling (EGR 102) (Note: Mechanical Engineering, Computer Engineering and Computer Science students complete CSE 231. Electrical Engineer majors take CSE 220 instead.)
- Calculus I (MTH 132)
- Calculus II (MTH 133)
- Physics for Scientists and Engineers I (PHY 183)
- Mechanical Engineering majors must have an overall GPA of 3.6 and 3.4 GPA in all technical courses. Computer Science, and Chemical and Material Sciences Engineering majors must have an overall GPA of 3.4 and a 3.2 GPA in all technical courses. All other engineering majors require an overall GPA of 3.2 and a 3.0 GPA in technical coursework.
The following table indicates which courses you will need to have completed when you are transferring less than 28 credits, less than 42 credits and 42 credits or more. Also listed is the GPA (on a 4 point scale) that will be required for admission to the College of Engineering as well as when applying to MSU.
Your technical GPA is an average of the grades you have received for all technical courses, for example, MTH 132 is considered a technical course and is used in calculating your technical GPA, WRA 101 is not. Here is how to calculate yout technical GPA.
Courses will be accepted according to the Transfer MSU page as well as based on grade earned. Grades lower than a “C” will not be transferrable as credit. All credit will be reviewed on a 4-point scale and grades will follow according to the grading scale that is used at the institution you completed the course at.
Transfer Application Process
If you fulfill all the requirements described above, you can apply by filling out the online transfer student application through the Office of Admissions. Be sure to apply a full semester before your desired entry date.
All scholarships available for transfer students are based on academic achievement or financial need. Transfer students do not need to apply for any of these scholarships since students are immediately taken in to consideration after being accepted in to Michigan State University. If you are selected to receive a scholarship you will be notified.
If you still have questions after reviewing this website, you can then schedule a meeting with one of the engineering transfer personnel. (You must have the necessary GPA specified above.) Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your unofficial transcript in PDF format to schedule an appointment.