If you have a static IP address set, or your computer is not set to accept the IP address assigned by the engineering network, you may need to follow these instructions to allow your machine to use DHCP and accept assigned IP addresses to use the engineering networks.
NOTE: Microsoft and DECS are no longer supporting Windows XP. For more information regarding the end of XP support, click here. If you are still running Windows XP, please contact the DECS Support Office (353-8891, firstname.lastname@example.org) for options.
Follow the instructions for the appropriate operating system:
- Click the Start button, and select the Control Panel. (image)
- In the Control Panel window, choose the Network Connections icon. (image)
- In the Network Connections window, right-click the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties. (image)
- In the Local Area Connection Properties window, click the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) option and select Properties. (image)
- In the TCP/IP Properties window, click the option Obtain an IP address automatically. (image)
- Click the Advanced button. In the Advanced TCP/IP Settings window, remove any Default gateway entries. (image)
- Click the DNS tab, remove any DNS server address and DNS Suffix entries. Make sure the option Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes is selected. (image)
- Click the WINS tab, remove any WINS address entries. (image)
- Click Ok and follow the on-screen instructions to restart the computer.
Macintosh OS X
*Note that you may have to type in the system administrator password to make modifications to the system preferences.
- Click on the Apple logo in the upper left corner and select System Preferences.
- Click on the Network icon found either on the top row of the screen or from the Internet & Networking area of system preferences. (image)
- Select the device that you want to configure and click Configure. This will bring up the configuration page for the device. (image)
- Click on the tab labeled tcp/ip which will bring up the tcp/ip configuration. (image)
- From the drop down menu located next to "configure IPv4" select Using DHCP. (image)
- Click Apply Now. You have now configured the chosen interface for DHCP.