How-To Set Up a Home Page on your Engineering Account via SSH
- Connect to scully.egr.msu.edu or another engineering compute server.
- Create a sub-directory in your home directory called "web" by typing: mkdir ~/web, from the UNIX command prompt. All of the original material you want to offer to the web must be stored in this directory.
- Create a file called "index.html" in the ~/web directory. This is your personal "home page" from which all other information in your personal pages will be referenced. You can create this file using any text or HTML editor on the system.
- Set the access permissions on ~/web and ~/web/index.html so that anyone can read them. This can be done from a UNIX command prompt by typing chmod -R a+rX ~/web
*Whenever you add information to your web pages, you may need to type this command again.
- Set the access permissions on your home directory so that anyone on the system can get to ~/web by typing: chmod 711 ~/
Your index.html file should be readable at the following URL if placed in the web folder as instructed above:
Where username is your login name. If you get error messages about your page, fix them and try reloading your page.
These instructions are meant for those students, faculty and staff with accounts on MSU College of Engineering UNIX systems. The procedures for creating a personal home page at another site may be very different.