The following are instructions for running Matlab on one of the DECS compute servers using OSX. This enables Matlab to be available wherever you have Internet access. Older versions of Mac OSX will have an X11 client installed. Newer versions will need to download and install XQuartz to use Matlab with a GUI interface.
- Open a terminal window. The terminal app is located in the utilities folder (Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities). You can also drag the application to the dock.
- In the command window enter ssh firstname.lastname@example.org -Y (replace "username" with your engineering username).
- Press the Enter key on your keyboard and you will be prompted to enter your engineering password.
- Log into scully, enter computeuse and hit Enter. This will give you a list of DECS available compute servers.
- Pick a compute server (typically you want the server with the lowest LOAD)
Type in the following command:
ssh username@computeserver -Y (replace username with your engineering username and computeserver with one of our compute servers).
- You may need to enter a password; enter your engineering password.
- Type matlab into the terminal and Matlab will launch.