Richard W. Lyles, Ph.D., P.E.
Professor and Associate Chair for Undergraduate Studies
Civil and Environmental Engineering
3569 Engineering Building
East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone: (517) 355-2250
Fax: (517) 432-1827
- Introduction to Civil Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
- Transportation Planning
- Effective Experimental Design and Data Analysis in Transportation
Research, National Cooperative Highway Research Program.
- Development and Implementation of Mobility Options Assessment
Tools, Michigan Department of Transportation.
- An Evaluation of Right-Turn-In/Right-Turn-Out Restrictions
in Access Management, Michigan Department of Transportation.
- Development of Improved Pavement Distress Index Models,
Michigan Department of Transportation.
- Field Test of Variable Speed Limits in Work Zones (in
Michigan), Federal Highway Administration and Michigan
Department of Transportation.
Dr. Lyles is generally interested in highway safety issues. More specific
topics include: work zone safety, the effectiveness of traffic control devices,
safety and mobility of older persons, and surrogate measures of accident
Carnegie-Mellon University: Ph.D., Transportation System Planning
Awards and Honors:
- American Society of Civil Engineers, Fellow.
- Institute of Transportation Engineers, Fellow.
- Withrow Teaching Excellence Award for 2007-08 (department/college),
- MSU Alumni Club Quality in Undergraduate Teaching Award
- Chi Epsilon Honor Member, 2000.
- Effect of Design and Site Factors on the Long-Term
Performance of Flexible Pavements, with K. Chatti,
S.W. Haider, N.J. Buch, A.S. Pulipaka, and D. Gilliland,
Journal of Performance of Constructed Systems,
Vol. 21, No. 4, August 2007.
- Difficulties With Quasi-induced Exposure When Speed
Varies Systematically by Vehicle Type, with X. Jiang,
Accident Analysis and Prevention, Vol. 39, Issue
4, p649-656, July 2007.
- Statistical Analysis of In-Service Pavement Performance
Data for LTPP SPS-1 and SPS-2 Experiments, with S.W.
Haider, K. Chatti, N.J. Buch, A.S. Pulipaka, and D. Gilliland,
Journal of Transportation Engineering, Volume 133,
No. 6, pp. 378-388, June 2007.
- Communicating Changes in Horizontal Alignment,
with William Taylor, NCHRP Report 559, National
Cooperative Highway Research Program, TRB, Washington,
- Prediction of Pavement Distress Index With Limited
Data on Causal Factors: An Auto-regression Approach,
with K. Ahmed and G. Abu-Lebdeh, International Journal
of Pavement Engineering, Vol. 7, No. 1, March 2006.
- Crash-Involved and Typical Driver Stated Responses
to Curves and Curve-Related Traffic Control Devices,
with others, presented at the 2005 Annual Meeting of the
TRB, January, 2005, and published in the Proceedings
of the meeting.
- A Field Test and Evaluation of Variable Speed Limits
in Work Zones, with W.C. Taylor and others, presented
at the 2004 Annual Meeting of TRB, January, 2004 and published
in the Proceedings of the meeting.
- Development of Transportation Engineering Research,
Education, and Practice in a Changing Civil Engineering
World, with K. Sinha and others, Journal of Transportation
Engineering, Vol. 128, No. 4, July/August 2002.