M. Emin Kutay, Ph.D., P.E.
Civil and Environmental Engineering
428 S. Shaw Lane
3554 Engineering Building
East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone: (517) 353-9297
Fax: (517) 432-1827
- CE312 – Soil Mechanics
- CE838 – Bituminous Materials
- CE815 – Slope Stability and Stabilization Techniques
- CE495 - Senior (Capstone) Design – Geotechnical
Research Focus Areas:
- Applications of 2D and 3D imaging techniques
a. Microstructural characterization of asphalt pavements
b. Image-based measurement technologies
- Sustainable asphalt pavements
a. Crumb rubber modified asphalt
b. Warm mix asphalt
- Inverse analysis from field non-destructive testing
a. Backcalculation of dynamic modulus (|E*|) mastercurve of asphalt pavements
b. Linear and Nonlinear properties of base/subgrade
- Constitutive modeling of asphalt pavements (e.g., Viscoelastic Continuum Damage (VECD) Theory)
- 3D micromechanical modeling
a. Asphalt mixture compaction
b. Warm mix asphalt mixing/coating process
c. Saturated and unsaturated fluid flow through porous media
Dr. Kutay's background and interests are primarily on
experimental and numerical investigation of fundamental
material behavior of asphalt pavements and granular materials.
His research focuses on improvement of the AASHTO Superpave
mix design, understanding and better prediction of fatigue
cracking in asphalt pavements using state-of-the-art techniques
such as the Viscoelastic Continuum Damage (VECD) Theory
and development of tools to improve understanding of permanent
deformation (rutting) characteristics of asphalt pavements.
His other research interests include pavement surface characteristics
such as smoothness, tire/pavement noise and splash/spray.
- University of Maryland: Ph.D., Civil & Environmental Engineering (Geotechnical & Pavements) (2005)
- University of Maryland-College Park: M.S., Civil & Environmental Engineering (2002)
- Middle East Technical University, Ankara-Turkey: B.S., Civil Engineering (2001)
Registered professional engineer (PE): Commonwealth of Virginia
Awards and Honors:
- ASCE Arthur M. Wellington Prize (2009)
- Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists (AAPT) Walter J. Emmons Award for the best paper presented at the April 2008 Annual Meeting held in Philadelphia, PA (2009)
- ASCE Collingwood Prize for the paper: Kutay, M.E., and Aydilek, A.H. (2007) “Dynamic Effects on Moisture Transport in Asphalt Concrete”, ASCE Journal of Transportation Engineering, Vol. 133, No. 7, July 2007, pp. 406-414. (2008)
- AASHTO National Competition Award for Transportation Professionalism for representing United States in the World Road Association PIARC Prizes 2007 international competition (2007)
- Eisenhower Graduate Research Fellowship from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration (2003-2005)
- Saravanathiiban, D., Kutay, M. E., Khire, M. (2014) “Effect of Macropore Morphology on Preferential Flow through Saturated Soil: A Lattice Boltzmann Study”, Computers and Geotechnics, Volume 59, Pages 44–53
- Ozturk, H.I., Kutay, M.E. and Littrup, G. (2013) “A Novel Testing Procedure for Foamed Warm Mix Asphalt Binders” ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000924.
- Ozturk, H.I. and Kutay, M.E. (2013) “An Artificial Neural Network Model for Virtual Superpave Asphalt Mixture Design”, International Journal of Pavement Engineering, DOI: 10.1080/10298436.2013.808341.
- Varma,S., Kutay, M. E. and Levenberg, E. (2013) “A Viscoelastic Genetic Algorithm for Inverse Analysis of Asphalt Layer Properties from Falling Weight Deflections” Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2369, No. 4, pp. 38-46 (DOI: 10.3141/2369-05).
- Mogawer, W., Austerman, A., Mohammed, L., and Kutay, M. E. (2013) “Evaluation of High RAP-WMA Asphalt Rubber Mixtures”, Road Materials and Pavement Design, Special Issue: Papers from the 88th Association of Asphalt Paving Technologists' Annual Meeting, Vol. 14, Supl. 2, pp. 129-147.
- Kutay, M.E. and Ozturk, H. (2012) “Investigation of Moisture Dissipation in Foam-based Warm Mix Asphalt Using Synchrotron-Based X-Ray Microtomography”, ASCE Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, Vol. 24, No 6, pp. 674-683.
- Mbarki, R., Kutay, M.E., Gibson, N. and Abbas, A. (2012) “Comparison between Fatigue Performances of Horizontal Cores from Different Asphalt Pavement Depths and Laboratory Specimens”, Road Materials and Pavement Design, Vol. 13, No 2, pp. 422-432.
- Kocak, S. and Kutay, M.E. (2012) “Relationship between Material Characteristics of Asphalt Mixtures and Highway Noise”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, Vol. 2295, pp. 35-43.
- Coenen, A. R., Kutay, M. E., Sefidmazgi, N. R. and Bahia, H. U. (2012) “Aggregate structure characterisation of asphalt mixtures using two-dimensional image analysis”, Road Materials and Pavement Design, Vol. 13, No 3, pp. 433-454
- Kutay, M.E., Chatti, K. and Lei, L. (2011) “Backcalculation of Dynamic Modulus from FWD Deflection Data”, Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board, TRR 2227, Vol. 3, pp. 87-96.