Karim Chatti, Ph.D.
Associate Chair for Graduate Studies and Research
Civil and Environmental Engineering
3557 Engineering Building
East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone: (517) 355-6534
- Soil Mechanics
- Geotechnical Design
- Pavement Design and analysis I
- Senior Design in Civil Engineering
- Advanced Asphalt Pavement Analysis & Design
- Advanced Geotechnical Design
- Introduction to Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering
- Soil Dynamics
- Relationships Between Laboratory-Measured and Field-Derived
Properties of Pavement Layers, FHWA - DTFH61-09-C-00007,
Federal Highway Administration (with Cornell University)
- Smart Pavement Monitoring Systems. FHWA - DTFH61-08-C-00015,
Federal Highway Administration
- Optimization of and Maximizing the Benefits from Pavement
Management Data Collection FHWA - DTFH61-08-C-00017, Federal
- Using Existing Pavements in Place and Achieving Long
Life, Project SHRP2 R-23, Strategic Highway Research Program
II, National Academies (with NCE consultants)
- Models for Estimating the Effects of Pavement Condition
on Vehicle Operating Costs, NCHRP 1-45, National Cooperative
Highway Research Program, National Academies.
- Assessment of Pavement Acceptance Criteria and Quantifying
its As-constructed Material and Structural Properties,
Michigan Department of Transportation.
- Characterization of Traffic for the New M-E Pavement
Design Guide in Michigan, Michigan Department of Transportation.
- Effect of Michigan Multi-Axle Trucks on Pavement Distress
and Profile, Michigan Department of Transportation.
- LTPP Data Analysis: Influence of Design and Construction
Features on the Response and Performance of New and Flexible
and Rigid Pavements, NCHRP 20-50(10/16), National Cooperative
Highway Research Program, National Academies.
Dr. Chatti's research interests are in the areas of pavement
response and performance modeling, dynamics of pavements
and truck-pavement interaction, pavement surface roughness,
pavement preservation, and characterization of asphalt concrete
mixtures. Recent research has been focused on (i) models
for estimating the effect of pavement surface condition
on vehicle operating costs, (ii) smart pavement monitoring
systems, (iii) using existing pavements in place and achieving
long life, (iv) assessment of pavement acceptance criteria,
(v) evaluation of the new M-E PDG, (vi) the effect of heavy
trucks with large axle groups on pavement performance, (vii)
the effect of design and construction factors on the response
and long term performance of pavements, (viii) the development
of roughness diagnosis tools for PMS application, (ix) the
effectiveness of preventive maintenance treatments, and
(x) dynamic backcalculation of flexible and rigid pavement
University of California - Berkeley: Ph.D., Civil Engineering
Awards and Honors:
Robert G. Packard Award for Outstanding
Paper on Concrete Pavement Design (2008), 9th International
Conference on Concrete Pavements, San Francisco, CA
First Place in Curriculum Category
for the paper entitled "Use of the LTPP Database in the
Pavement Engineering Curriculum," (2002) ASCE/FHWA International
Contest on LTPP Data Analysis
Student-of-the-Year Award (1993);
Region IX: California University Transportation Centers
Program; U.S. Department of Transportation
USAID fellowship (1981-1991)
- Effect of Design and Site Factors on Fatigue Cracking
of New Flexible Pavements in the LTPP SPS-1 Experiment,
S. W. Haider and K. Chatti, International Journal of
Pavement Engineering Vol. 10, No.3, 2009.
- A Laboratory Investigation of the Effect of Multiple
Axle and Truck Configurations on HMA Mixture Rutting,
H. K. Salama, K. Chatti, International Journal of Road
Materials and Pavement Design, Vol. 9, No.4, pp.589-613,
- Evaluation of the New Mechanistic-Empirical Pavement
Design Guide Rutting Models for Multiple Axle Loads,
H. K. Salama, S. W. Haider and K. Chatti, Journal of
the Transportation Research Board, TRR No. 2005, pp.
- Backcalculation of Permanent Deformation Parameters
Using Time Series Rut Data From In-Service Pavements,
H. K. Salama, K. Chatti and S. W. Haider, Journal of
the Transportation Research Board, TRR No. 1949, pp.
- Use of Dynamic Analysis for Interpreting Pavement
Response in Falling Weight Deflectometer Testing,
K. Chatti, Materials Evaluation, Vol. 62, No. 7,
pp. 764-774, July 2004.
- The Effect of Different Axle Configurations on the
Fatigue Life of an Asphalt Concrete Mixture, K. Chatti
and C. S. El Mohtar, Journal of the Transportation
Research Board, TRR No. 1891, 2004.
- Determining Life Expectancy of Preventive Maintenance
Fixes for Asphalt-Surfaced Pavements, J.P. Bausano,
K. Chatti and R. C. Williams, Journal of the Transportation
Research Board, TRR No. 1866, pp. 1-8, 2004.
- Development of Roughness Thresholds for Preventive
Maintenance Action Aimed at Reducing Dynamic Loads,
D. Lee, K. Chatti, and G. Y. Baladi; Journal of the
Transportation Research Board, TRR No. 1816, pp. 26-33,