How often should I meet with my adviser?
We suggest that you meet with your adviser regularly, at least once a semester, to receive assistance with major selection, schedule planning, test-taking, study skills, utilizing resources, career planning and much more! Anytime you may have an academic question you should contact your adviser, while some questions can be handled by email, many issues benefit from a two-way conversation.
How should I prepare for my advising appointment?
Before visiting your adviser, you should:
- Reflect on how you are doing in your classes.
- Review the major/degree requirements for the majors that interest you.
- Think about any questions you might have about your major, the College of Engineering, or the University.
- During annual enrollment (in the spring) think about classes you might be interest in taking during the summer and next year. Click here and print the schedule planning worksheet to help you plan your future academic schedule.
Your adviser is assigned to you based on your major and class standing (freshman, sophomore, junior, senior). If you're involved in certain programs, such as Spartan Engineering / The Residential Experience or the Honors College, you will have a specific adviser for that program in addition to your College of Engineering adviser.
Engineering Freshmen: Walk-in advising in W-8 Wilson Hall (no appointments necessary)
Engineering Sophomore - Senior: Most of our advisers utilize our online Adviser Appointment System.
For appointments with other engineering advisers:
- Applied Engineering Science Sophomores-Seniors: Adviser Dr. Amanda Idema | Call (517) 355-6616 ext. 1
- Mechanical Engineering Sophomores: Adviser Carmellia Davis-King | Call (517) 355-6616 ext. 2
- Mechanical Engineering Juniors and Seniors: Adviser Gaile Griffore | Call (517) 355-3338