Travel Funding

The College of Engineering provides travel grants to help support current graduate students in presenting their research at appropriate conferences or disciplinary meetings.  As of Fall 2015, travel awards of up to $450 are available per trip, and graduate students may apply for separate travel grants for each conference/meeting at which they are invited to present their research.  Funding grants are accepted throughout the year and are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis as long as funding is available.


To be eligible for this travel grant, students must meet all of the following criteria:

  • Be a current graduate student at MSU (note: funding is no longer available once students graduate)
  • Be enrolled in a MS or PhD program, where your primary major is in the CEE, CHEMS, CMSE, CSE, ECE or ME department (note: BAE students are generally not eligible for this grant; dually-enrolled students whose primary major is outside of Engineering should apply for funding through their home college/department)
  • Be listed as an author on a research poster, paper or presentation at an appropriate conference or disciplinary meeting, and be traveling to this conference/meeting to present their research
  • Complete a MSU Travel Authorization form prior to departing for the trip, and submit a reimbursement request following the trip if required; note, these travel authorization forms should be completed within your department - please check with your graduate secretary for instructions

Application Process

To apply for this travel grant, students must do the following:

  1. Download and complete the "Graduate Student Travel Funding" request form provided by the MSU Graduate School
  2. Provide a detailed letter from the student (item 2 of the funding request form) that includes the name of the conference or meeting, the title of the work to be presented, the complete list of authors, and the date and location of the conference/meeting
  3. Provide a detailed breakdown of estimated travel costs (for example: $50 Food, $10 Taxi, $300 Registration, $350 Hotel, $50 Michigan Flyer, $500 Airfare)
  4. Obtain signatures from both your major professor (research advisor) and your department chairperson on the travel funding request form - even if your advisor and/or department are not providing monetary support
  5. Bring the completed form and letter to 3410 Engineering building and give it to Wendy Baker; the request will be reviewed and the College will add its contribution and forward the form to the MSU Graduate School for their contribution (note: if you do NOT want to request travel funding from the Graduate School, please attach a note stating this to your application before you give it to Wendy Baker)

Travel grant applications should be submitted to Wendy Baker at least two weeks prior to the date of departure but not more than one month prior than your travel  Once your form has been processed, you will receive an email from the Graduate School indicating which funds (if any) were approved.  Travel grants are generally disbursed as fellowship awards to students' MSU accounts.