Applying to a Graduate Program
Thank you for your interest in graduate study at Michigan State University! The application process generally requires the following steps.
1. MSU Graduate Application: Please complete the on-line Application for Graduate Studies. You will be required to pay an application fee and provide both an Academic Statement and a Personal Statement. Please follow the guidelines below when completing your statements:
As part of this online application you will be provided a MSU applicant number - please save this number for your records.
2. Department Requirements: Please review the admissions requirements for the department to which you've applied; some departments require supplemental applications or other materials.
Please refer to the following websites for detailed admissions and application information for specific graduate programs:
- Biosystems & Agricultural Engineering
- Chemical Engineering & Materials Science
- Civil & Environmental Engineering
- Computer Science & Engineering
- Electrical & Computer Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
In filling out the applications, it is imperative you provide a correct and working email address since almost all correspondence is conducted via email.
If you encounter any difficulties during the application process, please contact the Graduate Program Secretary in the department you are applying to.
Since the application deadlines are set by individual departments, please consult the web site of your department of choice for that information. For fall semester admission, a good target date to keep in mind for application deadline would be mid-December.