History of the College

College of Engineering Timeline

1855   
Agricultural College of the State of Michigan founded in East Lansing ChEMS Lab
1857 Classes begin
1861 College renamed the State Agricultural College of Michigan
1862   
Passage of Morrill Land-Grant College Act establishes colleges of agriculture and mechanic arts
1885 College renamed Michigan Agricultural College

Original Mechanical Laboratory designed by Rolla Carpenter and constructed
1888 First undergraduate degrees granted to four engineering students
1892 Student chapter of Tau Beta Pi is founded by Lancaster P. Breckenridge
1901 College renamed Michigan State Agricultural College
  Departments of Civil and Electrical Engineering are established, with master's degrees available in Electrical Engineering
1902 Master's program in Civil Engineering established
  First Senior Engineering Society organized to discuss mechanical, civil and electrical engineering. Weekly meetings held; papers read and discussed
1907 The State Board of Agriculture begins awarding professional degrees in mechanical, civil and electrical engineering for those engineers who have five years of practical service in the field
  First Dean of Engineering is appointed, George Bissel
1908 Engineering Hall is dedicated
1909 College renamed Michigan Agricultural College
  Division of Engineering is established with departments in civil engineering, drawing and design, mechanical engineering, physics and electrical engineering
1916 Engineering Building and Mechanical Building destroyed by fire
1917 R. E. Olds Hall of Engineering is built on the old foundation of the former Engineering Building
1918 War Service work begins; Student Army Training Corps for auto mechanics is established
1924 Engineering Experiment Station established
1925 College renamed Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science
1927 Michigan's first rural electrical power line, reaching from Mason to Dansville, is placed in service with the cooperation from the college
1929   
G. W. Bissel retires, H. B. Dirks appointed dean Ethel Lyon
  Ethel V. Lyon is the first female granted permission to enroll in engineering

 Pi Kappa Delta

1932   
Department of Chemical Engineering joins the Division of Engineering
1936 Seven academic departments receive accreditation that is continuous to the present
1940 Flat fee system adopted by college
1946 Doctoral Program in Electrical Engineering approved
1947 The Electrical Engineering Building is constructed (now the Computer Center)
1948 Dedication of Farrall Hall, the agricultural engineering building
1948 First annual College of Engineering Exposition
  H. B. Dirks retires and Lorin G. Miller, chairperson of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, appointed dean
1949 Department of Metallurgy established
1950 JETS, Junior Engineering Training for Schools, is organized
1951 Department of Applied Mechanics established

 Oldsmobile Display, 1953

1953   
L. G. Miller retires and J. D. Ryder, head of Electrical Engineering at University of Illinois, appointed dean
1954 Doctoral Program in Civil Engineering approved
1956 University renamed Michigan State University
1957 MISTIC Computer completed

MISTIC Computer

1958   
Engineering Experiment Station renamed Division of Engineering Research
1962 Engineering Building is constructed where it is now
1963 Tau Beta Pi dedicates seven-foot replica of society's symbol, The Bent, to chapter founder Lester P. Breckenridge
1964 Engineering program reduced to 180 hours including Natural Science and Physical Education
1966 Engineering Science program established
1968 J. D. Ryder retires, Lawrence W. Von Tersch, associate dean, appointed dean
1968 The Engineering Equal Opportunity Program Committee established
1969 Department of Computer Science established and graduate program approved
  MiSTriga reactor becomes operational
1971 Material Science graduate degree program approved
1973 Engineering Arts major approved
  Society of Women Engineering student chapter established
1975 Engineering Cooperative Education Program established
1978 A. H. Case Center for Computer-Aided Engineering and Manufacturing established
1981 MSU purchases Jolly Road Research Facility
  Department of Civil & Sanitary Engineering renamed Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
1988 Dedication of Research Complex - Engineering
  Ground breaking ceremony for Engineering Building addition and renovation
  Composite Materials and Structures Center established

 Engineering Building

1989   
Lawrence W. Von Tersch retires, Theodore A. Bickart, Dean of Engineering at Syracuse University, appointed dean
  $34.5 million addition and renovation to the Engineering Building adds 167,000 square feet of space
  The Crop and Food Bioprocessing Center Established
1990 MSU purchases Hulett Road Research Facility
1997 $14 million, 46,000 square foot addition to the Engineering Building from the Herbert H. and Grace A. Dow Institute for Materials Research

 

Fire Photos from 1916:

(Click for larger image)

Fire Photo 1 Fire Photo 2 Fire Photo 3 Fire Photo 4 Fire Photo 5
Fire Photo 6 Fire Photo 7 Fire Photo 8 Fire Photo 9 Fire Photo 10